Monday, December 22, 2008

The Himalayan Zoological Park


The existence of a well-administered and pristine manicured zoological park just about 9 kms from the heart of Gangtok seems largely unknown. This is just as well as the place is thankfully devoid of noisy, boorish tourists, who otherwise infest every other place of interest in Sikkim. My obsessive trawling for information about Sikkim before this trip placed the park at the top of my must-visit list. The park was far from disappointing. I was impressed with its upkeep and the overall health and well-being of the animals housed here.

The animals are kept in a semi-natural environment. After driving a certain distance, visitors have to walk on a path that snakes right through the park taking them up, close and personal to the park’s inmates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have an opinion and so should you! Leave your bouquets, brickbats and battle axes here, preferably in a language I can understand. If coyness gets the better of you, then email me (emailbasicallyblah@gmail.com).